With GrowDex you can work through your entire HTS/HCS workflow form setting up your assays, screening your compounds, analysing your cells and moving to downstream processes, with high biological predictability and reproducibility, while saving time and costs.
High throughput screening
Predictive and reproducible high-throughput drug screening using 3D Cell Cultures assays
Microscope & imaging compatible
One-step cell recovery
Why transfer from 2D to 3D in High-throughput screening?
Major part of the cell-based high-throughput screening (HTS) assays are done still with traditional two-dimensional (2D) cultures that poorly represent the complex three-dimensional (3D) physiological environment, where cells naturally grow. The highly artificial HTS monolayer (2D) cultures are thought to significantly impact on the predictive value of compound screens and lead to high failure rate in drug discovery.
Advanced 3D cell-based assays for high-throughput screening provide a more physiologically relevant solution. Some of the current 3D models possess major obstacles in scaling up for HTS, as they are not reproducible, the costs are high, and there are several technical problems that cause challenges, including: automatization of liquid handling, temperature control, optimizing imaging and detection methods, chemical and physical properties of the matrix and downstream processing.
When the right hits matter - choose GrowDex for better predictability
Looking for better biological predictivity? Discover the hits that matter with the right 3D cell culture assay
- GrowDex enables spheroid formation, proliferation and differentiation in a three-dimensional matrix environment that better resembles the natural environment for cells to grow.
- GrowDex hydrogels have been used with numerous different assays culturing cells (e.g. stem, liver, cancer, neural) from many different sources such as cell lines, primary cells, patient derived cells and biopsies.
Screen reproducible without worrying about temperature control
- No more temperature-controlled rooms, clogging pipette tips or unexpected polymerization of the matrix during your cell culture workflow. GrowDex® is a temperature stable matrix that does not change its properties (stiffness or chemical composition) during dispensing or cell culture.
- HTS/HCS compatible GrowDex makes it easy and reproducible to run large screens using automated dispensing and image analysis systems. Please see our references below for more information about the applications.
Compound screening, end-point analysis and downstream processing without interference or false positives
- As GrowDex contains only nanocellulose and water, it allows the free diffusion of small and large molecules through the matrix, making it possible to run large screens without interference from the matrix.
- For downstream processing, just add GrowDase™ cellulase enzyme and collect your spheroids without affecting their structure, morphology or proteins.
- End-point analysis is robust and accurate with GrowDex as it is not auto-fluorescent. Avoid challenging optimization steps and focus on analyzing your cells.
With over 150 different assay protocols available GrowDex is our original hydrogel. Highly biocompatible GrowDex has been used widely for the culture of primary cells through to iPS and ES cells.
GrowDex-T brings superior imaging quality for phase contrast and brightfield imaging. This hydrogel is completely transparent making imaging and automated analysis easy.
If you are looking to customise your hydrogel then GrowDex-A is for you. GrowDex-A has been modified by the addition of an avidin group so you can attach any biotinylated molecule you like.
See how it works - scale up with confidence
Automatic dispensing of GrowDex with Thermo Scientific Multidrop
Automated dispensing of GrowDex to 96- and 384-well plates with ThermoFisher Multidrop.
Automatic dispensing of GrowDex with Eppendorf EpMotion
Automatic dispensing of GrowDex hydrogel into 384-well plate
Non-Contact Dispensing of GrowDex Hydrogel
Demonstration of GrowDex® printing by non-contact dispensing
Protocol details: GrowDex® 0.25% (UPM, Finland)
Related Application notes
Co-Culturing of Primary Hepatocytes and Kupffer Cells in GrowDex and DAPI/Phalloidin Staining of the Cell Spheroids
Common issues, when scaling up to HTS/HTC with animal derived materials
Automatization of liquid handling and temperature control
Animal derived materials used for 3D cell culture typically go through the polymerization of gels, which is caused by temperature. For scaling up assays in HTS this requires extensive temperature control and cooling down of instruments and reagents, so that the gels do not polymerize during dispensing. During screening, unexpected polymerization can clog pipette tips, cause variation in dispensing amount and lead to higher consumption of reagents, which increases the total cost of the assay.
Imaging and detection methods
The detection of fluorescent signals, for cell viability and proliferation assays is of key importance. Animal derived culture matrices often interfere with measurement caused by autofluorescence coming from the animal proteins.
Chemical and physical properties
The diffusion of small and large molecules is crucial for compound screening. As the animal-based materials contain ECM proteins, the matrix can interfere with the diffusion of molecules. Especially large molecules, such as antibodies and ECM binding molecules can cause challenges for studying the effects of the drug compound.
To detect and recover RNA and DNA for downstream processing the animal-based hydrogels interfere with antibody labeling, purification and detection.